According to Energy Star, the average lifespan of an HVAC system is between 15-20 years. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) agrees. However, as heating and cooling systems age, they require more maintenance and repairs. In the long run, it may save you money to upgrade closer to the 10-year mark.
Heating and air conditioning manufactures are always looking for ways to improve the efficiencies of their equipment. These technological advancements have proven to minimize energy consumption and maximize savings. It may interest you to discover How an HVAC Replacement Can Save You Money.
Click on this infographic to see how the benefits of purchasing a more efficient system can provide long-term savings.
HVAC manufacturers are designing systems that monitor their environment and cycle down and up when needed. By not running at full capacity all the time, energy consumption decreases. This is good for your wallet and for the planet.
When looking for a new air conditioner, you will want to check the SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio) rating. This is the total heat removed from the conditioned space during the annual cooling season. The SEER rating is used to compare the energy efficiencies of different air conditioners. The higher the rating the more efficient the air conditioner.
When looking for a new heat pump, you will want to check the HSPF (Heating Seasonal Performance Factor) rating. The HSPF measures heating efficiency over the heating season. The higher the rating the more efficient the heat pump.
When looking for a new gas furnace, you will want to check the AFUE (Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency) rating. The AFUE percentage is the ratio of annual heat output vs the total annual fossil fuel energy consumed by a furnace. A 90% AFUE means 90% of the fuel energy becomes heat while the other 10% escapes up the chimney flue and elsewhere. The higher the rating the more efficient the system.
Smart Thermostats – Additional Savings
Wi-Fi® enabled smart thermostats give you control over your heating and cooling system from anywhere in the world. You can adjust the temperature, humidity, airflow, and ventilation all from your phone or smart device.
Using a smart thermostat can help you save up to 23% in annual heating and cooling costs according to leading manufacturers.
Maximize HVAC Savings
To maximize your HVAC savings you will want to seek the advice of an HVAC specialist. They can help design the right system to maximize your and your family’s comfort. They will choose the right indoor unit to go with the right outdoor unit.
The professionals at Presidential Heating and Air Conditioning, Inc. in Gaithersburg, MD have been providing expert advice since 1981. Our team of Comfort Advisors will also look for manufacturer’s rebates and tax credits to help maximize your savings.
Schedule your consultation today by calling 301.615.2760 or Schedule Online.