Your HVAC system plays an important role in keeping you and your family comfortable. And it does so year-round. To help it perform optimally, it needs to be routinely maintained. Having a professional examine your system each spring and fall will help your HVAC system run at its peak and reduce the number of unexpected repairs.
Maintenance Tips to Prevent HVAC Repair
An HVAC system is an investment in your family’s comfort that should last an estimated 15-20 years. Just like your car, your HVAC systems need to have regular care and maintenance to work properly. Some of this maintenance you can do on your own.
Change Air Filters
Your HVAC filter helps clean the air and reduce the allergens in your home. Changing out the filter on a regular basis will allow it to keep doing its job. The US Department of Energy reports air conditioner energy consumption is reduced 5 to 15 percent by replacing a clogged air filter.
There is some variability in how often filters need to be replaced. Filters may need to be changed every month, every six months, or annually depending on the type of filter and your environment. It’s often necessary to clean or change air filters more often if there are pets in your home. It’s best to check your air filter for clogs and dirt every month and replace it accordingly.
Clean Your Vents
An HVAC ductwork can have build-up from dust and dirt that obstructs the airflow throughout the home. To alleviate this, vacuum the vents and try to keep household items and furniture away from them. Periodically check the strength of the airflow.
Every few years, schedule a ductwork inspection. Over time, blockages can accumulate in your ducts. These blockages will affect the airflow and overwork your unit. During the inspection, the HVAC technician will also check it for leaks and other problems that might be happening behind the scenes.
Clean Outside Unit
Remember that your outdoor unit also requires regular maintenance. On a monthly basis, remove any leaves, branches, or debris from the area around the outdoor unit. Make sure that shrubs and plants are cut back and don’t infringe on the HVAC unit. Use a gentle spray from a garden hose to wash off any visible dirt.
Pay Attention to Your HVAC System
Your HVAC system will show signs if it is in need of a professional service call. Look for hot and cold spots throughout your environment. Notice if there is poor airflow. Check to make sure there aren’t puddles around your indoor unit. Listen for odd noises – buzzing, grinding, thumping, or rattling.
Schedule Regular Maintenance
While there are several maintenance tasks you can perform on a routine basis, the vast majority of your HVAC system needs to be maintained by a professional.
Presidential Heating and Air Conditioning, offers a twice-yearly inspection through our Advantage Maintenance Plan. The plan includes benefits of getting a maintenance plan could include:
- Comprehensive 25-point heating performance tune-up annually
- Comprehensive 23-point cooling performance tune-up annually
- Priority customer service
- Discounts on parts and labor
Benefits of Maintaining Your HVAC System
- Extended life. The better the HVAC system is maintained, the better its performance and the longer its life.
- Keep utility bills down. An HVAC system that’s operating efficiently, combined with a properly insulated home, will mean lower costs on electricity, heating, and cooling.
- Improve indoor air quality. Cleaning and maintaining air filters, remove unwanted agents like dirt, dust, mold, and bacteria. Removing pathogens and allergens from our homes increases our ability to stay healthy.
- Decrease the likelihood of an emergency repair. Unfortunately, from time to time, an HVAC unit can need an emergency repair. But it’s less likely to happen if a unit has been well maintained.
- Increased efficiency. A dirty or poorly maintained HVAC unit will require more energy to create the same level of cooling or heating as a well-maintained unit. As a result, there is less wear and tear on the unit, and its lifespan will be extended.
The benefits of keeping your HVAC unit maintained are well worth the effort.
Hire Gaithersburg, MD’s Premier HVAC Professionals
Presidential Heating and Air Conditioning are the professionals you can rely on for all your maintenance and HVAC repair service needs. They have been providing expert service since 1982 in Montgomery County, MD, and the Washington, DC area. Schedule your appointment using our online system or by calling us on 301.615.2760.