High-efficiency appliances have continued to grow in importance for homeowners in Gaithersburg and throughout Maryland.
Over the years every home appliance and system — including your TV, refrigerator, washer and dryer, and your home’s heating and air conditioning systems — have made incredible advancements in maximizing energy efficiency.
According to the Department of Energy, older, lower-efficiency furnaces have an annual fuel utilization efficiency (AFUE) between 56% – 70%. This is the percentage of fuel that is used to heat your home while the remaining 30% – 44% is wasted as exhaust.
In 2013, as climate concerns became more prevalent, the US Department of Energy mandated that all furnaces must operate at an AFUE rating of at least 80%.
Today high-efficiency furnaces perform at levels between 90% and 98.5% AFUE. Although high-efficiency furnace installation can represent a larger up-front cost than less efficient models, many homeowners find the investment is worth the initial outlay.
3 Types of Furnaces
Single-stage – the heat clicks on fully whenever the temperature drops below the thermostat setting.
Two-stage – the heat blows on high to bring the room or house to the desired temperature and then lowers to maintain the thermostat setting.
Modulating – a more nuanced varying heat production based on certain variables and conditions within the home the homeowner has set.
Top 5 Reasons For a Furnace Replacement
No. 1: Energy Bill Savings
Working with a professional heating specialist is the first step to maximizing your energy savings with a new furnace replacement. Installing the right-sized furnace can save up to 30% on your heating bill.
Your comfort care advisor at Presidential Heating and Air Conditioning will ask you a series of questions and inspect your home to understand your family’s needs and the specifics around your environment. This will enable them to propose the right-size furnace.
An ENERGY STAR certified furnace can earn homeowners additional rebates and tax credits.
No. 2: Increased Performance Level
In addition to wasting less fuel, a high-efficiency furnace outperforms lower-efficiency models in other areas. Advancements have been made in technology and improvements in components such as gas valves and PVC drain lines. Sound absorbing materials also allow your furnace to perform at a higher level while emitting less sound.
No. 3: Longer Furnace Life
On average, a furnace should last between 15 and 20 years, depending on the model, how often they cycle, the climate in which they are used, and how properly and often they are maintained over the years.
It is always important to keep your furnace maintenance routinely scheduled by a qualified professional.
Technology advances in high-efficiency furnaces have resulted in components that help protect and prolong the life of newer models.
No. 4: Cleaner Healthier Air in Your Home
Along with newer and more efficient mechanical technology, newer furnaces have been designed with better filtration technology.
High-efficiency furnaces can come equipped with filter systems that remove impurities like dust, dirt, and even mold from the air that can cause and/or irritate allergies. This can be quite the problem with older and less efficient furnaces. However, with the newer technology of high-efficiency furnace models, your home is heated with much cleaner, purer air.
If you’re in Gaithersburg or the surrounding area, a Presidential Heating & Air Conditioning Comfort Advisor can walk you through the option available to increase indoor air quality.
No. 5: Environmental Protections
As climate change continues to be a concern, manufacturers of nearly every product in our everyday lives are working together to combat the emissions and impact of greenhouse gases. One of the best ways we can do that is to simply use less energy.
At an AFUE rating of 90% – 98.5%, high-efficiency furnaces have come a long way from the 80% rate that was the standard only a short time ago. Not only does this reduce the amount of fuel used, but it also reduces the amount of carbon dioxide released into the air by the operations that generate that fuel.
There are many factors to consider when deciding whether a high-efficiency model is the right model for your furnace installation or replacement. How long do you plan on staying in your home? How old is your home? Will you need to make home modifications for the furnace installation? The professionals at Presidential Heating & Air Conditioning will help you maneuver through all of these questions and many more. Our goal is to help you make the best decision for yourself and your family.
We are here to help with all of your furnace replacement needs, as well as comprehensive maintenance and service. Contact us now to learn more or to schedule your appointment to discuss installing a new furnace in Gaithersburg.