Presidential Heating & Air Conditioning
Gaithersburg HVAC Contractors
ShareShare on Facebook
0ShareShare on LinkedIn0 shares on LinkedIn
Gas furnaces are incredibly popular heating systems in Gaithersburg, MD. They are dependable and efficient when professionally installed and maintained. Gas furnaces burn natural gas or propane and use blower motors for circulation throughout your house.
As a homeowner in Gaithersburg, MD, you know it’s important to have your furnace serviced and maintained annually. But it is also important to recognize safety issues associated with your Gas furnace and ensure it runs efficiently and safely.
Continue reading as the HVAC specialists at Presidential Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc. share some tips to help keep you and your family warm and safe this winter.
Get a Professional Annual Check Up
The first step for homeowners seeking to stay on top of their gas furnace maintenance needs is an annual inspection and tune-up by a certified HVAC technician.
At a minimum, your furnace service technician should:
- Visually Inspect Your Furnace – They check for signs of corrosion and loose-fitting pipes and ensure the exhaust vent is free from debris and properly sealed.
- Change Air Filters – Air filters trap debris from the outside to keep it out of your HVAC system.
- Clean Components – This should include burners, pilot assemblies, blower motors, air pipes, and more.
- Check Belts and Pulleys – It’s best to replace them before they break, leaving you without heat on a chilly winter day.
- Lubricate Moving Parts – To keep your furnace running smoothly and extend the life of your furnace.
- Check Controls & Safety Items – You want to be sure all the controls and safety items are working correctly to prevent not just a furnace breakdown but a catastrophic accident as well.
These maintenance steps help ensure your gas furnace operates safely and efficiently while extending its lifespan.
Additional Safety Steps
- Ensure the area around the furnace is clear of combustible materials such as furniture or carpeting
- Check for signs of corrosion or damage
- Check for unusual smells coming from the furnace
- Change air filters regularly according to manufacturer instructions.
Look for Warning Signs
Knowing what to watch out for can help protect your family and home from potentially dangerous outcomes. Gas companies add a chemical to natural gas (which is odorless) giving it a rotten egg smell. If you smell this distinctive odor, call your gas company immediately. Additional warning signs may include an increased gas bill, a sulfur smell coming from vents throughout the home, or frequent pilot light issues.
Gas furnaces are an effective way to heat your home during cold months in Gaithersburg, MD. But they must be adequately maintained to operate safely and efficiently. Be sure to schedule annual tune-ups with your HVAC technician to inspect all components.
Presidential Heating & Air Conditioning is your trusted HVAC company when you need HVAC service in Gaithersburg, MD. Our expert technicians have been providing superior service since 1982. Schedule your check-up today.